Following the sentencing of a rogue oil boiler engineer for the manslaughter of Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson who were overcome by carbon monoxide following the incorrect installation of a boiler flue, OFTEC Ireland has issued a safety reminder emphasising the importance of using OFTEC registered engineers when working on oil boilers.
Installer Online reported that George Brown was sentenced to two years in prison following an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland and the Police Service of Northern Ireland’s Criminal Investigation Department.
The BBC also reported that as well as the deaths of Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson, a third teenager, also staying in the holiday home was overcome by fumes, but did survive.
Mr Brown received a 2 year prison sentence and will have to pay a £19,000 fine for a total of 19 health and safety breaches.
Devastating Case That Could Have Been Avoided
OFTEC Ireland issued a press release on 21st March 2014 to remind householders of the safety implications of not using a qualified OFTEC registered engineer for any boiler servicing, repair or installation work.
David Blevings, OFTEC Ireland Manager said “It was clear from this devastating case that the very sad and untimely deaths of Neil and Aaron may have been prevented if the installation of the boiler had been carried out by a fully qualified and competent technician.”
Be Safe, Not Sorry
Householders with oil boilers can help to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning by having their oil boiler serviced annually and ensuring they always use an OFTEC registered engineer for servicing, installation and repairs. You can check if an engineer is registered by visiting www.oftec.org
For more information on this story:
BBC reports on sentencing of George Brown: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26665019