Whether you are having work done to your oil fired central heating, having an oil fired Aga/Rayburn fitted, or just need an oil boiler service, you are always advised to use an OFTEC registered technician. Why is this, and what is OFTEC anyway?
OFTEC, the Oil Firing Technical Association was set up in 1991 to improve standards in the oil cooking and heating industries across the UK and Republic of Ireland. They operate a licensed competent persons scheme for all aspects of servicing, installation and commissioning of oil fired heating and cooking systems to ensure common standards of competence are maintained throughout the industry.
How Does Using an OFTEC Registered Technician Benefit You?
If you use an OFTEC registered technician you can be sure that:
- The technician has been trained by an OFTEC approved training centre and they have been assessed to ensure they have up to date skills and knowledge.
- They will have their work assessed from time to time to ensure they are maintaining standards and safety.
- They can certify their work meets current building regulations – something non-registered technicians cannot do which means local authority building control have to become involved in any work being undertaken.
- They have to re-certify every 5 years to ensure they are kept up to date with the latest regulations and developments.
- They will carry identification with them showing what type of oil heating work they are certified for.
- They have access to guidance and advice from OFTEC.
- They will be suitably insured to work in your home.
- They will always provide you with documentation of work they have done.
- You have a central body to raise issues with in the unlikely event that you do have a problem with an engineer.
This is why BoilerJuice insist that all participating oil boiler servicing companies must be OFTEC registered and we regularly check their registration is up to date. To find OFTEC registered companies for your boiler service please complete the online quote form here.
For more information about the requirements of OFTEC registration please see the OFTEC website.